How to Maintain a Clean and Organized Home
- Do It For Yourself---If you want to keep a tidy home, it's important to want that for yourself. Without this mindset, we get caught up in the vicious cycle of marathon cleaning just for guests. You deserve a tidy home every day, not just when visitors come.
- Establish Positive Routines---Why do I write about routines all the time? Routines are how stuff gets done. When it comes to keeping a neat home, small daily routines are the key to making it almost effortless.
- Think Small---This sounds counter intuitive; however, many of us feel overwhelmed by household tasks. Keeping a tidy home is a lot about mindset and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Start by keeping one small area of your home tidy every single day.
- Be Happy with Good Enough---We cannot perfectly organize and clean our homes on a daily basis. Know what is good enough for you and stop there at the end of the day. It can wait until tomorrow.
- Rotate Zones---The average American home is roughly 1,000 square feet larger than 40+ years ago. It's impossible to do every thing all the time. Break your home up into zones for deeper cleaning and organizing.
- Enlist Help---This can be paid help in the form of a cleaner or organizer or it can be the help of your family. In my home we recently started using the OurHome App for tracking and management of household tasks, along with homework and other responsibilities.
I hope these tips help you maintain a clean and organized home. Please feel free to share your best tips in the comments below.